Online Sports Betting Horse Racing Specials Rules
When it comes to online sports betting, horse racing is responsible for a significant number of wagers. Such is the popularity of horse racing that it has become more than just about betting on a place or win.
Punters are constantly looking for the best betting odds and markets, forcing the best mobile sports betting sites to offer enhanced racing markets or specials on selected events. Specials can be offered weekly or daily on major racing events. While wagering on them may seem profitable, it is best to understand the rules and how they work. This differs from site to site, but tends to share the same standards.
Daily Favourites are one of the most popular specials run by bookmakers. With this type of bet, a punter is predicting that a specific number of favourites to win or place at a particular meeting. The rules of daily favourites include:
- If a favourite is withdrawn, the new favourite will be the second favourite with the lowest race card number.
- For placing purposes, a favourite must win a race of 4 runners or less.
- If an event is abandoned for any reason, all bets will be voided.
Jockey markets are popular with accumulator bets and meetings with multiple races. With online sports betting jockey specials, a punter is placing a wager on a named jockey to either win or place accumulator at defined meeting. The general rules of jockey favourites include:
- If a jockey does not have enough races to complete the special, the markets will be settled as place singles or multiples on the remaining rides.
- If a jockey is awarded a win due to a walkover, this is will not count towards the total for the meeting.
One type that has proven to be popular with the public is the double chance. With online and mobile sports betting, this market sees a punter backing one of two named horses to win a specific race at the meet. The rules are pretty simple.
- If selected horse is a non-runner the market will be settled as SP starter on the remaining runner.
- All other rules wills apply to the specific sportsbook. This includes wagering amounts and settlement rules.
Race Winning Distances
Race winning distances is a popular specials market with online sports betting Canada sites. With this type, a punter is wagering on the winning distance to be above, below or between the amount of lengths quoted in brackets for a specific event. The rules for winning distance include:
- The winning distance is the distance declared between the first two horses past the post.
- The distance is calculated using lengths per second.
- The maximum distance per event is 12 lengths for flat, and 30 for jump.
- If there is a walkover, all bets are voided.
Horse Winning Distances
With online sports betting, horse winning distance specials are similar to race distances. The only difference is in this case, a punter is betting on the winning distance of a specific horse competing. This is placed as being above, below or between the distances quoted in brackets. The rules for this are similar to those above:
- The winning distance is the declared distance between the first two horses to come in past the post.
- If the named horse does not win, all bets will be lost.
- If the result is a dead heat, the winning distance is classed as 0.
General distance classifications include a nose, short head, head and a neck.